11 January 2014

Iron Curtain Trail (EuroVelo 13) in Slovakia

I toured this section of EuroVelo 13 from Moravsky Sv.Jan, through Gajary, Zahorska Ves and Vysoka pri Morave as a one day trip in september 2013. I kept hearing from the re-election campaign of Bratislava Region chairman Pavol Frešo how under his leadership the EV13 along the Morava river has been restored. I wanted to see what has been done there. I was very disappointed to see that only a couple of new signs had been placed, which were already destroyed...
old border guard chip seal road in desolate state
in some sections only dirt and mud

or rough gravel
new navigation signs have been destroyed
by stupid youngsters from nearby villages
gate that should allow only cyclists and horse riders
is difficult to cross even with a lightly loaded bicycle
it is often easier to pass by
more destroyed signs

the cycle way on the embankment is often so rough
that it's easier to take the road on the right
later the cycle way on embankment disappeared completely
information panel from 20 years ago rotting near the road
PS: I hope I haven't deterred you from visiting Slovakia or riding the Iron Curtain Trail. Just be prepared for worse roads and a bit more adventure. I hope the pictures will help you choose the right equipment (i.e. wide tires) and enjoy your trip. The nature is beautiful with lush meadows, willows near the river and plenty options for wild camping.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ondrej,

    I'm planning to spend 4 months on my bicycle this summer and follow the whole Iron Curtain Trail. Do you have any good tips of the parts in your country? Do you have any GPX files or something that can help planning the route?

    My plan is to start 1th of june this year. You are welcome to join in any parts if you want to, even if it's in new places to you, or maybe a known place for you?

    Thanks in advance,
    Stian Torland
    http://challenge4you.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stian,
      GPS tracklog from the day trip of EV13 where I took the pictures can be downloaded from here http://connect.garmin.com/activity/367624171
      I actually plan to go along the EV13 in Czech rep. west-bound from Breclav to Cheb. Get in touch a few days before you arrive in Bratislava.

      Delete